Contact sharing on an iPhone can be very useful when you want to exchange contact information with others. However, there might be some times when you prefer not to share your contact details with everyone. One interesting new feature introduced in the iOS 17 update by Apple is called Name Drop. It allows you to easily send or receive your contact information by placing the top of your iPhone near another iPhone.
By disabling Name Drop, your contact details and the Contact Poster will not appear on the person’s iPhone if Name Drop is enabled. However, there might be situations where you mistakenly reveal your contact information when it’s not required. In this post, we will learn about turning off Name Drop for contact sharing.
How to Turn off Contact Sharing in iOS 17
Turning off Contact Sharing in iOS 17 is simple and doesn’t require removing AirDrop entirely. NameDrop is a functionality that you may manage separately. The following are the instructions given below:
- On your iPhone, launch the Settings application.
- Then, go down to the ‘General’ tab. And select the ‘AirDrop’ option.
- After finding the ‘Bringing Devices Together’ toggle switch.
- Now disable the ‘Bringing Devices Together’ option.
- If you turn off NameDrop, your contact information will not be shared automatically when iPhones are close to each other.
How to Turn off Contact Sharing in iOS 17 on iCloud Contacts
You may disable your iCloud contacts in iOS 17. This is important if you don’t want your iCloud contact information shared without your permission. Follow the instructions listed below.
- In iOS 17, launch the ‘Settings’ app on your iPhone.
- Next, at the top of the screen, then click on your name. And choose the iCloud tab.
- Then turn the ‘Contacts’ option off.
- When you disable iCloud contacts, your contact details cannot be synchronized over all your iOS 17 devices.
How to Turn off Contact Sharing in iOS 17 on Individual Apps
You may control which applications allow access to your contacts in iOS 17. This is useful if you want to know about apps sharing your contact details without your permission. Follow the steps given below.
- Open the Settings app in iOS 17 on your iPhone.
- Choose the Privacy option. Select the ‘Contacts’ application.
- Slide down and find the app for which you want to turn off contact sharing.
- Then, choose the app and turn off the option next to contacts.
How can I disable NameDrop on iOS 17?
- On your iPhone, launch the Settings app.
- Select the General tab and choose the ‘AirDrop’ option.
- Turn the ‘Bringing Devices Together’ option off.
How can I select which details to share with another person using NameDrop?
By changing your contact information before sending it, you may specify which information you wish to share with someone. Go to the contacts app, go to your name, and click the edit option if needed. You can add or remove whatever information you wish, like your phone number, email address, social media accounts, and so on.
How do I remove a contact I added using NameDrop?
By clicking on the contacts app, their name, edit, and delete contact, you can remove a contact you added with NameDrop. You can also stop someone from calling you in the future by navigating to the settings menu, phone, blocked contacts, and adding a new option.
How do I Allow or Reject a Contact Request Received by NameDrop?
If anyone uses Name Drop to share their contact details with you, your iPhone will send you a notification asking if you wish to allow or reject it. If you select ‘Allow’, their information will be added to your contacts; if you click ‘Reject’ will be ignored.