Switching iPhones without losing any data or settings is a simple process. Whether you’re upgrading to an iPhone model or replacing a damaged device, you can easily transfer your contacts, photos, apps, messages, and more. It’s important to keep all of your data safe and secure on your iPhone.
To Switch iPhone or iPad start by creating a backup of everything on both devices and save it either to your iCloud account or to your PC using iTunes. Remember to save any login information that you might need for your accounts manually. After creating the backup, reboot and erase both phones before swapping SIM cards. Finally, sign in to the user’s iCloud account. Restore the backup.
In this post, we will learn how to switch iPhones or iPads without losing your data in different methods.
Back-Up Your Old iPhone or iPad
There are several methods to make a backup of the data on your old device. You may do this on your PC or using iCloud. Follow the given methods.
Back-Up Your Old iPhone or iPad Using iCloud
iCloud looks similar to Apple’s online storage system. It allows you to conveniently back up many types of files, retrieve them later, and share them. Follow the steps.
- First, check that your iPhone or iPad is connected to a Wi-Fi network.
- Then open the ‘Settings’ app on your smartphone.
- Click on your name or the symbol for your Apple ID at the top of the Settings menu.
- Scroll down to choose the ‘iCloud’ option. And then select ‘iCloud Backup’.
- If it is not already enabled, turn on the switch for the ‘iCloud Backup’ option.
- Then press the ‘Back up now’ option to start an immediate backup. Alternatively, if you’re connected to Wi-Fi, your device will automatically back up.
Back up Your Old iPhone or iPad using a Mac
To create a backup of your iPhone, you can connect it to a Mac computer. This may be used with a USB cable or by connecting wirelessly over Wi-Fi. Just plug one end of the USB cable into your phone and the other end, into your Mac to make use of it.
- Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac using a USB cable.
- Look for your device in the sidebar under ‘Locations’ in Finder. Click on it. This will take you to the summary page of your device.
- Select the ‘General’ tab at the top of the window in the Finder sidebar.
- Next, choose to back up all of your iPhone data to this Mac. To start the process, click on the ‘Back up’ option.
- If you want you can also add security by setting a password for your files before starting the process with the option ‘Secure Local Backup’.
Back up Your Old iPhone or iPad using a Windows Computer
To create a backup of your iPhone, you can connect it to a Windows computer, and this may be used with a USB cable. Follow the given instructions.
- If you don’t already have iTunes installed on your Windows computer, you can visit the Apple website at https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/. Download iTunes from there.
- Next, connect your iPhone or iPad to your Windows computer using a USB cable.
- Open iTunes on your Windows PC. It will automatically detect your connected device.
- To access the summary page of your device simply click on the icon representing your device in the left corner of the iTunes window. From there you can choose the option to ‘Back up now’ option.
- Make sure to protect your data by selecting ‘Secure Local Backup’ to create a password and then setting a password.
Swap SIMs or Activate SIMs on the iPhone
If you need to Swap SIM or Activate SIM on your iPhone, follow the below steps.
- Turn off your iPhone. Locate the SIM card tray, which is usually situated on the side or top edge of the device, depending on the model.
- Then insert a SIM card ejector tool into the slot into the SIM tray.
- After carefully removing the SIM card from the tray, inserting the new one.
- Then, place the tray back into your iPhone and power it on. The device should activate the SIM card.
- Finally, follow any instructions displayed on your screen to complete the SIM activation process.
Turn on Your New iOS Device
When you’re upgrading from your iPhone to a new one, you can make use of quick start to easily transfer all your data from the old device to the new one. If you want know turn on the new iPhone, follow the below steps.
- Look for the power button on your iOS device, which is usually located on the side of iPhones.
- Then, keep holding down the power button for a few seconds. You will see the Apple logo appearing on your screen.
- Set up your password and carefully follow the instructions displayed on the screen to activate either Face ID or Touch ID features on your iPhone.
- Afterward, you will typically go through some steps, like selecting your language and location, connecting to a Wi-Fi network, signing in with your Apple ID, and personalizing other settings.
- If you are upgrading from an iOS device, there is a chance that you can transfer data from a backup using either iCloud or iTunes.
- Once you’ve completed the setup process, your new iOS device should be all set for you to start using it.
Restore your iPhone Backup
Restoring your iPhone from a backup is an easy process that can be completed using iCloud or Mac. Follow the given instructions.
Restore from iCloud Backup
- Simply follow the instructions displayed on your screen until you reach the tab ‘Apps & Data’ during the setup process whether setting up your iPhone or after performing a factory reset.
- Once you’ve reached the ‘Apps & Data’ tab, click on the option that says ‘Restore from iCloud Backup’ option.
- Then, you will be signed in to your iCloud account by entering your Apple ID and password.
- After choosing the backup, you want to restore it based on its date and size. Click on it to start the backup process.
- After the restoration is completed, your iPhone will automatically restart.
Restore from Mac or PC
- To begin connect your iPhone to a Mac or PC using a USB cable.
- Next, open iTunes on Windows or Finder on Mac OS.
- Look for your iPhone in the list of devices displayed in iTunes or Finder.
- You will also find a ‘Summary’ tab for your device, where you can select the option to back up your data.
- Once you have chosen the backup you want to restore, click on the ‘Restore’ button.
- Then make sure to keep your iPhone connected to your computer throughout the restoration process.
- Once the restoration is completed, your iPhone will restart automatically.
Check that your Wi-Fi connection is Stable
Check you have a Wi-Fi connection while transferring data. If you disconnect many times, your backup or data transfer will be interrupted when you reconnect. This works even if you are connecting your phone or tablet to a Windows 10 PC or Mac using a cable and need to keep your device connected until the process is finished.
How can I transfer data from a previous iPhone to a new iPhone?
You can transfer your files; you may utilize the ‘Quick Start’ option, an iCloud backup, or iTunes. Quick Start is the simplest option, and it automatically transfers much of your data when you configure your new device.
How can I get started with my new iPhone or iPad?
- Turn on your device. And follow the directions given on the screen.
- Connect to the internet through Wi-Fi. Then, enter your Apple ID.
- Choose whether to create a fresh new device or restore your old data from a backup.
Is it possible to transfer files from an Android phone to an iPhone or an iPad?
Yes, Apple provides an app, ‘Move to iOS, ‘ that allows you to move your contacts, images, texts, and other data from an Android phone to an iPhone or iPad.
What can I do if I forget to back up my old device before changing to a new iPhone or iPad?
When you have a copy of your old device data, you can make a backup and then restore it to your new device. Otherwise, you may have missed some data, but you can start over on your new device.