Filtering out songs on Spotify is a feature that gives users the freedom to customize their listening experience by removing music with explicit content like profanity or explicit lyrics. This feature is especially helpful for parents who want to create a family-friendly environment while using the music streaming platform.
To activate this feature, users can go to their settings. Toggle the “Allow Explicit Content” option on or off based on their preferences. When this option is turned off, explicit songs will be filtered out from playlists, radio stations and recommendations. Additionally, users can create profiles on Spotify for content filtering, which comes in handy when multiple individuals share a Spotify account. This allows for a controlled music experience for everyone involved.
What is Explicit Content on Spotify?
Explicit content on Spotify refers to music that includes elements that might not be appropriate for all listeners. This usually involves lyrics with language, profanity or themes that are more mature or depict graphic content. When a song is labelled as explicit, it may contain language, sexual references or other offensive or sensitive material.
- Spotify marks explicit content with an “E” symbol, which can be seen next to a song’s title or in the song’s description. This label serves as a warning to listeners, allowing them to decide whether to listen to songs with explicit content or prefer a more family-friendly music experience.
- Spotify allows users to filter out explicit content, as mentioned in a previous response. This feature can be toggled on or off in the settings, giving users control over the type of music they encounter while using the platform.
How to Filter Out Explicit Songs on Spotify on Mobile
Once you have disabled explicit content, any songs labelled as explicit will be greyed out and unavailable to play. To filter out explicit songs on Spotify on a mobile device, follow the below steps:
- Start by launching the Spotify application on your smartphone.
- Tap on the “Home” icon, typically located in the bottom left corner of the app’s main screen. This will take you to the home screen.
- Then tap on the gear symbol in your screen’s top right corner. This will grant you access to the settings of the app.
- Scroll down to find the “Allow Explicit Content” toggle.
- To filter out explicit songs, turn this toggle off by tapping on it. The toggle should change from green to grey, indicating that explicit content is filtered out from your music.
How to Filter Out Explicit Spotify Content on PC or Mac
Once you’ve turned off this option, explicit songs and content will be filtered from your Spotify experience on your PC or Mac. To filter out explicit Spotify content on PC or Mac, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Spotify app.
- To access your settings, click on the arrow in the corner of the screen. From there, you’ll see an option for “Settings.”
- Scroll down to the Explicit Content section.
- Toggle off the Allow explicit content switch.
How to Allow Explicit Content on Spotify
To enable content on Spotify, you can follow these instructions:
- Launch the Spotify application on either your device or desktop computer.
- To access your account settings, simply click on your username. The profile picture is located in the right corner of the app.
- To access the settings, you can choose “Settings” in both the application and desktop versions from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to the “Explicit Content” section.
- To allow explicit content, switch on the toggle next to “Allow playback of explicit-rated content.” This will turn the toggle from off (grey) to on (green).
What does it mean to filter out explicit songs on Spotify?
When you filter songs on Spotify, ensures that your listening experience is free from music containing profanity or mature themes.
How do I filter out explicit songs on Spotify?
You can go to your settings to prevent songs from playing on Spotify. Turn off the “Allow Explicit Content” option.
Can I filter out explicit songs on the mobile app and desktop version of Spotify?
You can customize your song preferences on both the desktop versions of Spotify by modifying the settings within your account.
Are there any age restrictions for filtering explicit content on Spotify?
Spotify offers a filtering option that allows users to control content, ensuring it is appropriate for listeners of all ages. This feature can be handy for parents who want to create a more family environment.
What happens when I filter out explicit content on Spotify?
When you activate the content filter on Spotify, the platform will ensure that any songs with lyrics or inappropriate themes are not included in your playlists, radio stations and recommendations.