The Apple Translate app, introduced alongside iOS 14, is a tool that makes communication between individuals who speak different languages much smoother. It enables users to translate text and speech quickly, making it a valuable resource for travellers, language learners and individuals who require quick language assistance.
However, similar to any software application, users may come across difficulties. One common issue users may encounter is the Apple Translate app not functioning correctly on their iPhones or iPads. This can be quite frustrating in situations where language translation is essential.
Whether it’s freezing up, crashing, unexpectedly failing to recognize speech or encountering problems altogether, understanding why these issues occur and learning troubleshooting techniques can greatly enhance your experience with the Apple Translate app on your iOS device.
How to Fix Apple Translate App Not Working on iPhone in iOS 16/17
If you’re experiencing issues with the Apple Translate app not functioning properly on your iPhone running iOS 16/17. Here are some troubleshooting suggestions that might help:
- Check your internet connection. The Apple Translate app needs an internet connection to work. Make sure you have a strong Wi-Fi or cellular data connection.
- Restart your iPhone. Minor software issues are frequently fixed with a simple restart.
- Update the Apple Translate app. Apple regularly releases updates to its apps with bug fixes and new features. Make sure you have the latest version of the Apple Translate app installed.
- Delete and reinstall the Apple Translate app. If you are still having trouble with the app, try deleting it and then reinstalling it from the App Store.
- Force quit the Apple Translate app. To do this, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle. Then, swipe left or right to find the Apple Translate app preview. Swipe up on the preview to end the app.
- Reset all settings. This will reset all of your iPhone’s settings to factory defaults, but it will not erase your data. To do this, go to Settings, then General, then Transfer or Reset iPhone, next Reset, and choose Reset All Settings.
- Contact Apple Support. If you have tried the above steps and the Apple Translate app is still not working, you may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance.
How to Allow Translate App to Use Mobile Data
To enable the usage of data by the Apple Translate app on your iPhone, you can follow these instructions:
- On your iPhone’s home screen, tap the “Settings” app. A gear symbol is commonly used to represent it.
- Scroll down the list of apps in your Settings until you find “Translate.”
- To access the app’s settings, simply tap on the “option.
- Toggle on Cellular Data.
- Once you have enabled data, you should notice a checkmark or an indicator next to the app’s name indicating that it has permission to use data.
How to Use Apple Translate App with iOS 15 on an iPhone
For real-time conversation translations, you can utilize the Apple Translate app. Here’s how you can use it on your iPhone running iOS 15:
- Open the Apple Translate app.
- Please choose the two languages you wish to translate between. You can do this by tapping on the language names at your screen’s top.
- Type or speak the text you want to translate.
- The translated text will appear below the original text.
How to Use Conversation Mode in the Apple Translate App on your iPhone iOS 17.
The conversation mode in the Apple Translate app on iPhone in iOS 17 allows you to translate conversations in real-time with another person. This is a great way to communicate with someone who speaks a different language. To use the conversation mode, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple Translate app.
- At the top of the screen, press the “Conversation” button.
- Select the two languages you want to translate between.
- Tap on the “Start Conversation” button.
- Speak the text you want to translate in one language.
- The translated text will be spoken in the other language.
How to Use Apple Translate App When Offline
You’ll need to download the language packs for your desired languages to use the app offline. Once downloaded, you can use the text translation app without an internet connection.
- To download language packs on Android:
- Open the Translate app.
- In the upper right corner of the screen, tap the three dots.
- Tap on “Settings.”
- Tap on “Offline translation.”
- Tap on the “Download” button next to the language pack you want to download.
Why is my Apple Translate app not working at all?
If you’re experiencing issues with the app, it could be caused by factors such as software glitches, network problems or settings. Here are some solutions to try; check for any app updates, ensure that you have an internet connection, force close and reopen the app or restart your device.
Why is the Translate app not translating speech correctly?
If the app is not accurately translating speech, it might be due to background noise, accents or pronunciation. Ensure that your microphone is clear, and try minimizing any surrounding noise.
Why is the Translate app not detecting my voice input?
If the app is not detecting your voice input, it may be related to the microphone or privacy settings. Ensure that the app can access the microphone in your device settings.
How can I download languages for offline use in the Translate app?
To download languages for offline use, open the app, tap the language options, and select the cloud icon with an arrow to download the languages you need. Make sure you have an active internet connection when downloading languages.
Why is the Apple Translate app not available on my device?
The Apple Translate app is available on devices running iOS 14 and later. If your device is not compatible with iOS 14 or you’re using an older iOS version, the app might not be available.