Education is taking different forms over the last two decades. The Internet being the most used tool of today’s world, plays a crucial role in the evolution of education from textbooks to online education. From the traditional form of education which consists of blackboards and textbooks used by teachers to teach students with a restricted curriculum, the Internet has changed education into a flexible way where lessons can be taken from anywhere using the educational websites without the restriction of curriculum as well. What the Internet offers to the field of education in the quantum age is immense and is going to evolve in better ways in the future.
Talking about education using the Internet in the late 90’s marks the beginning of the revolutionary idea of online education. Back in those days when lessons were taken in classrooms, Internet was used only for small scale research. Over the last decade the growth of Internet users has changed from millions to trillions. What makes Internet a tool that is part of people’s daily life is the content it hosts.
This fact has led to the rise of Online Education and its applications. Universities, Private organizations, and Websites offer lessons over the Internet for students to take up from any location. This flexibility is the main reason that led to the growth of online education. Some of the reasons that makes online education most preferred in today’s world are:
- Flexibility: It is obvious that flexibility tops the list in the advantages of online education. Being able to study from anywhere and anytime according to the comfort of the student is what that makes it so popular.
- Easily accessible quality education: Many students might not be able to pursue education in the top universities across the globe. But most of the top universities offer online lessons with certificate courses which are as good as classroom lessons. This benefits students who cannot access education from farther universities. Easy access to quality lessons over the Internet is another major benefit of online education.
- Cost-effective: Quality at a reasonable or low price is what most of the people prefer. Online education is available to students at a lower price compared to cost of admission to a university to pursue the same courses.
- Research study and Information available: We know that the Internet has answers to almost any question a student asks and spans huge data for any scholar to perform his/ her research. This makes the Internet most used tool in education.
- Faster Update: To update a curriculum or resources in traditional learning requires a lot of changes to be made and incurs additional cost for changing all resources. But in the online education, data or resources can be updated much conveniently and cost-effectively according to the curriculum.
- Support for Decision making: Apart from the above facilities, there is another new feature over the Internet that makes it more preferable. Support to make decisions about the college to study, the course to pursue is made more convenient these days. There are several websites available that counsel students over the Internet and suggests them with the appropriate choices.
Online Education is becoming more and more popular because of its evolution based on the needs of the students. Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) or free online videos provided by various top universities like Harvard University, Stanford University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, etc. are available to students at easy and cost-efficient ways. E-Learning is another form of online education that is an umbrella that spans the use of Internet for online videos to virtual classrooms. EdX, CourseEra, etc. are some of the most popular websites which offer online courses in a wide range of domains according to the interest of the students.
The features that the Internet offers to the field of education does not confine to students alone. It provides benefits to the universities/ colleges and other education websites as well. Many universities/ colleges have adopted the online admission process over the Internet which makes the tasks easier and reduces personnel effort. Communication and course videos over the Internet are of course the most important benefits of Internet to the colleges. Broadcasting any news related to the college over the Internet is much efficient than conveying the news in any other form.
Apart from students and educational institutions, there is another group of stakeholders in the field of education that benefit from the Internet. Online websites that provide information about educational resources and colleges in one single platform, help students to know about the colleges and courses available across India just by the browsing the Internet. There are millions of such websites which provides education related information.
In India, some of the popular educational websites providing all-round information are Getmyuni, CollegeDuniya, Shiksha.com, etc. These websites help the students who are in dilemma to choose efficiently amongst the wide range of educational resources available. These websites contend with each other as well.
The quality of content they present to the students is of course a distinguishing factor that makes the website most visited. They use latest technology and techniques to provide legitimate information to the students. They use efficient search strategies to fetch data and present it in an organized manner to the student who searches for information.
For example, if a student is searching Google for top MBA Colleges, and if Google believes that Getmyuni website is legitimate in its data, then it will return the Getmyuni MBA College Rankings list provided by the website as one of the top results. This process contains a lot of technology that has been into providing efficient results. The Internet is a huge container that holds all of these data and techniques to provide structured and quality information to the students.
if a student is searching Google for top MBA Colleges, and if Google believes that Getmyuni website is legitimate in its data, then it will return the Getmyuni MBA College Rankings list provided by the website as one of the top results. This process contains a lot of technology that has been into providing efficient results. The Internet is a huge container that holds all of these data and techniques to provide structured and quality information to the students.
The Internet will be the most used tool for the future of education. Technologies like Virtual Reality, Artificial Intelligence, etc. will need the support of Internet to evolve and reach a greater number of people. Virtual Reality through the Internet will be the most efficient way of learning in the future. Since, Virtual Reality is a budding technology and is yet to reach many students, it is likely to take over the Internet and the field of Education in the future.
Online Education today has many features more than just video courses. Students can even have personalized tutors over the Internet. What Internet is giving to the students and to the field of education is extraordinary and immense.